At St. Michael’s we hold to 5 Christian Values that are born from our Christian Vision-- for students and staff to grow in wisdom and stature as Christ did--and govern all that we do. They were each chosen by students and influence the way our students and staff behave in and out of school.
Our Christian Values are firmly rooted in Christian teaching. They are not abstract ideas we place on our walls; they are concrete virtues we live out from our heart. Our students recognise that they are founded upon and link to the teaching and example of Jesus.
The Flames created by Mr Cheal represent the Holy Spirit.
- They encircle everything, reminding us that God is always with us, and that the Holy Spirit will guides, supports and strengthen us to live out our Values, even when it's hard to.
The Knight created by Priya Haran represents COURAGE.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13 - "Be on your guard. Stand firm in the faith. Be courageous and strong."
- Priya said, "A knight is brave and shows strength which is all part of courage."
The Dove created by Brodie Woodward represents PEACE.
- Romans 14:19 - "Let us make every effort to do what leads to peace and pursue the things that will build one another up."
- Brodie said, "I chose the dove from the school badge. People recognise the dove as a symbol of peace."
The Cross created by Hannah Colebourn represents FORGIVENESS.
- Ephesians 4:32 - "Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ forgave you."
- Hannah said, "I chose the cross as it is a symbol of forgiveness. Jesus died on the cross to forgive us for our sins."
The Joined Hands created by Sian Stroud represent EQUALITY.
- Philippians 2:3 - "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain pride. Rather, value others above yourselves in humility."
- Sian said, "The joined hands show two people respecting each other and seeing no difference. It shows that all people should be treated the same".
At the centre of the Christian faith, our Christian Vision and our Values is LOVE.
- 1 Corinthians 13:4-5 - "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy or boast. It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking or easily angered. It keeps no record of wrongs."
- The phrase “Do all things with love" reminds us that love should influence every action we take and every word we speak
Our 5 Christian Values are not just there to be spoken about but lived out in daily life. We hold a Values Service each term, where students are nominated by staff, their peers or parents to receive a Value Award for displaying one of our 5 Values. These students are then presented with a badge by our headteacher, Mr Morrin, and commended for their actions.
If students achieve all 5 Value Awards, they then receive our coveted Wisdom & Stature Award, the highest honour our students can receive. It is a sign that they are fully flourishing, not only as a valued student, but as a person and member of our school and community.