Since opening in 2005, the school has gone from strength to strength. Exam results have improved year on year. In the national performance tables published at the beginning of 2009 we were thrilled to appear in eighth place in The Guardian and The DailyTelegraph lists of 'Top 100 Most Improved Schools' in the country.
In 2010 our excellence in music and literacy was recognised when we were designated as a Specialist Music with English College, only one of only four in the country to achieve this status. In 2011 Nick Gibb, Minister of State for Schools, sent his congratulations on our sustained improvement in attainment which puts us in the top 60 schools nationally.
Our Church of England status is extremely important to us and our Christian values underpin every decision that we make for our young people.As the only Church of England secondary school in Sefton we offer a distinctive education based upon our Christian values.
Choosing the right school for your child is a difficult decision.You want them to experience the best teaching, to have exciting learning opportunities and become well qualified, but also you want them to enjoy school, to be safe and happy and to develop socially and spiritually. Here at St Michael's we believe we can meet all of those needs and more and our Church school SIAMS inspection report of 2015 graded us as 'Outstanding':
The 'Outstanding' SIAMS report states:
· Exceptional pastoral care and academic guidance reflect the Christian values of love, equality and forgiveness. As a result, students’ behaviour, attitudes to learning, levels of mutual support and relationships with staff are outstanding.
· Christian love in action and an unstinting commitment to meet all students’ needs are at the heart of this vibrant school
· The care the staff provide routinely and in times of crisis is outstanding
· The drive to improve standards of achievement is making an impact throughout the school
· GCSE outcomes are at or above national figures
· Relationships throughout the school are excellent
· Students’ behaviour is outstanding – they are polite and look after each other
· Vulnerable students and those with special needs receive highly personalised support – they blossom and achieve levels of progress and attainment significantly above national figures
· The influence of the Christian values on the personal development and welfare of all is an outstanding feature of the school’s provision
· The dedicated and authentic Christian leadership of the highly respected headteacher, ably supported by governors, senor leaders and other staff, sets a clear direction for the school. He inspires everyone to provide the very best for students
Our aim is to achieve the best possible education for every child within a caring and purposeful Christian community where each student is valued as an individual.We work closely with parents and carers, to ensure that the self esteem and confidence of our students can grow in a safe and supportive environment.We strive to meet the needs of every child, irrespective of ability, to enable them to realise their potential both in and out of the classroom. We are proud of our students' many achievements and believe that our school is so successful because it is based on a strong partnership between the school, home, church and local community.
The 'Good' OFSTED report states: (Oct 2017)
- The school provides a culture of ambition for the pupils
- Pupils make good progress at St Michael’s
- The school’s work to promote pupils’ personal development and welfare is outstanding
- The school’s work to promote equality is excellent
- Pupils’ attainment is above national averages in a range of different subjects
- Pupils behave exceptionally well in lessons and during the schools day. They are courteous and polite, and are committed to working hard.
- Pupils are committed to doing their best at all times, both academically and in personal interactions
- Pupils like coming to school and this is reflected in high levels of attendance
- Leaders and Governors are supported by an extremely committed and conscientious staff
- Forward-looking school which has a good reputation in the community and to which parents want to send their children
- Parents are welcomed into school
- The overall quality of subject leadership is strong
- Pupils say that bullying is very rare within the school
- Students are proud of their sixth form. They choose to stay at St Michael’s because of their positive experiences in Years 7-11.
At St Michael's Church of England High School we have the highest expectations of our students in all aspects of school life: work, discipline, appearance and social behaviour. We encourage prospective parents to visit us during the school day when our students are at work and play. This allows parents to witness for themselves the genuinely warm, family atmosphere of encouragement, acceptance, respect and outstanding achievement for all.
I hope that the information contained in this website will provide a useful introduction to our vibrant centre for education.
St Michael's is now over-subscribed in 2017 so if you are interested in a place for your son or daughter please ensure you name the school as your first choice
We look forward to meeting you soon
Dr S J Hulme BA (Hons) M.Mus LTCL PhD NPQH